sighisoara medieval town

Paul Militaru

During the 12th century, German craftsmen and merchants known as the Transylvanian Saxons were invited to Transylvania by the King of Hungary to settle and defend the frontier of his realm.
The chronicler Krauss lists a Saxon settlement in present-day Sighi?oara by 1191.A document of 1280 records a town built on the site of a Roman fort as Castrum Sex or “six-sided camp”, referring to the fort’s shape of an irregular hexagon.
Other names recorded include Schaäsburg (1282), Schespurg (1298) and Segusvar (1300).
By 1337 Sighisoara had become a royal center for the kings, who awarded the settlement urban status in 1367 as the Civitas de Segusvar.

The city played an important strategic and commercial role at the edges of Central Europe for several centuries.
Sighisoara became one of the most important cities of Transylvania, with artisans from throughout the Holy Roman Empire visiting the settlement.
The German artisans and…

View original post 464 more words

Posted in Uncategorized. Comments Off on sighisoara medieval town
%d bloggers like this: